High winds can cause major damage to your house’s roof. Rainstorms, hailstorms and hurricanes can tear shingles from your roof, penetrate roof’s surface, and even lead to structural damage. Protecting your roof from major disasters can be difficult, so what should you do once the storm as passed and you have roof damage?
First you want to go over this checklist to asses what kind of damage has occurred to your roof:
High wind damage inspection checklist:
- Inspect your attic for leaks or water damage.
- Check for broken, cracked, curled, or missing shingles, and any signs of a loss of granulation
- Look for split or curled shakes or shingles
- Check for blisters, cracks, and tears around the edges of the roof
- Inspect damaged chimney bricks and buckled or torn flashing, cracked or worn caps and joints
- Assess the condition of exhaust pipes, valleys, outer edges or angles where the roof meets the walls.
- Check for bent, loose, or missing gutter sections
- Look for any signs of siding damage
If you notice that any of these damages have occurred, the next step would be to contact your insurance company. All of the damage needs to be well documented for insurance purposes and your agent can then let you know what damages are covered under your insurance policy.
Once your insurance agent has assessed damages you are going to want to get the repairs completed as soon as you can. The longer your house sits with roof damage, the more prone it is to further damage. Not all roof repairs from a major windstorm can be repaired by the homeowner. If there is major structural damage a professional should be called. Yorkshire Roofing is an excellent choice if the damage that has been done is beyond your scope of knowledge. Remember your roof is the protector of your entire house. You want to make sure all repairs are up to code, structurally sound and can protect your loved ones that live under it.