Have you ever hired a company or a service to do work around your home only to wish later that you had done some more research on that company after the job was done? To avoid this problem the next time you’re going to have work done on your roof, before jumping into the hiring process be sure to ask your potential contractor the following questions or research them online prior to choosing which roofing company to hire!
Ask your roofer these questions before deciding who to hire:
- Do you provide written estimates and a general schedule for a job after an in-person assessment? Your goal should be to hire a professional roofing contractor who will give you an accurate cost estimate and schedule of when the labor will be performed. It’s often a good idea to get a few different estimates from various roofing contractors and compare the overall plan they propose upon assessing your roof.
- Are you a licensed and insured roofing contractor? While this may seem like it goes without saying, you need to verify the legitimacy of a roofing company by making sure they are in fact a licensed contractor with all the necessary certifications to perform this type of specialized labor. Be sure to check out your local ordinances though since each city could potentially have different guidelines for construction.
- Will my roof and its installation come with a warranty? It’s essential to find a roofing company that offers a comprehensive warranty for both the roof and workmanship behind their installation and labor. One indication of a quality contractor involves whether or not they provide workmanship warranties for up to at least one year after installation. A quality contractor is one who is willing to assure the homeowner that their finished product is one that will last, but keep in mind that in order for the manufacturers warranty on the roof to be valid for the standard 20-40 year warranty, the installation itself must be performed according to their specific instructions.
- Do you have worker’s compensation insurance and attain all the proper permits for every job? Since the roof is paramount to the overall safety and stability of a structure there are many safety requirements, standards, and permits that must be met and obtained in order to complete a roof replacement. Make sure that you hire a company who protects you and their workers by verifying that they have worker’s compensation insurance.
- How will you protect and preserve surrounding structures and environments, including the gutters, the landscape, driveway, etc? A roofing project is labor intensive and involves many different tools and the constant movement of workers throughout the area. But just because there is going to be a construction zone in your yard doesn’t mean that your property should be disrespected; a truly professional roofing company should take all the necessary precautions and plan ahead for how they will protect not only the landscaping around your home, but the gutters and surrounding structures of your roof as well.
- Do you have experience working with the roofing work my roof requires, including materials, roof types, etc? When it comes to working with the tools and materials necessary for a job like replacing the roof of your home, it’s vital for safety and the accuracy of the installation that the roofer has experience working with the necessary tools, which is why it’s best to depend on an experienced roofer for the job.
- What happens when the weather prevents you from working for a prolonged period of time? Or if another unforeseen circumstance changes the time/cost estimate for the job overall? Make sure that you have a back up plan or at least know how adverse conditions such as bad weather, or unexpected costs will affect the timeline for the roofing project. If you don’t feel like you can have an open and honest line of communication between you and the roofing company then they are not the right roofing contractor for you!